Lisa wrote a great post earlier this week about cleaning closets--especially clothes closets. You can find it here.
She is absolutely right on. Take everything out and sort it, then put it back in. It's too hard to try to clean here and there around what's in the closet. And somehow, clothes closets need to be sorted through a couple of times a year.
Especially when kids are little and grow all the time. I remember finding outfits with the tags still on that they'd outgrown before they'd worn them once--all because I hadn't taken the time to go through their clothes often enough.
I think that coat closets and linen closets are some of the hardest to organize--because they hold such a variety of things.
Our coat closet has some cleaning things, including mops and brooms, as well as things like hats and scarves and mittens looking for their friends.
The linen closet is the same way. I holds some sheets and towels, as well as the upstairs cleaning supplies and all the medicines. I have the hardest time with medicines because the bottles and boxes are all such funny shapes. Help!
In our house in California, it worked to keep shoe pocket organizers on the back of the closet doors to hold hats and mittens and scarves in the coat closet, as well as extra bars of soaps and medicines in the linen closet. But it doesn't work with the closet doors I have now.
Here are pictures of my two rogue closets--I didn't straighten anything before taking the pictures!
(Oops, went to take pictures and then forgot all about this post. But I need a little reading break, so I'm back!)
Here's what I see from my own pictures of the coat closet:
- Lots of unused space on the top shelves.
- The baskets are pretty much empty.
- The hanging shelves are a good idea, but stuff is falling out of them like crazy.
- Once I'd hung all my coats together, all of Toben's together, and so on. No one else is keeping it that way!
I think we need to come up with a better system. Maybe put all the girls' stuff in the baskets below--hats, scarves, etc.--since they can easily reach them, and come up with something on the shelf for Toben and myself.
And the linen closet:
- There really aren't many linens in here.
- Cleaning supplies are kind of taking over three shelves and not really organized by type.
- The medicines aren't working in my four-drawer thing. Especially since one drawer isn't even it in, but sitting separately!
- The top shelf has lots more vertical space.
Again, we need a better system for medicines. And something to keep cleaning supplies together and where they belong (furniture polish, dusting clothes together; bathroom cleaning supplies together, etc.).
So what are your coat and linen closet challenges? And what's worked well for you?