I don't know why, but I think it's easier to start with the "do nots" when it comes to understanding the Sabbath. Just some weird way I'm wired, I suppose. I want a clear list of what I can't and should do--and that way I can check off all the little boxes and we'll all be just fine.
Your answers to those questions will probably be different than mine. But as I think about it, I need to cease from work, from chores, from my never-ending to do list. I need to cease from the hustle and bustle of the outside world--shopping, running errands. I need to cease from the noise of everyday life.
- No computer for me or the girls on Sundays.
- No television (with the exception of watching movie as a family) on Sundays.
- No homework for the girls on Sundays.
- No chores on Sundays.
- No shopping or errands on Sundays.
- No fiction for me on Sundays.
- Nothing on Sundays that doesn't include the whole family--that means an automatic "no" to any birthday parties on a Sunday afternoon, Girl Scout activities, or playdates.