Here's what the girls wore to school today--new play dresses I made this weekend from McCalls 5419.
I made Audrey's first and followed the pattern exactly. It fits Emma pretty well too, so I made one for her next. But this time I modified the pattern a bit. Audrey's swings out kinda wide--a little too triangle-y, if that makes sense. So I folded the sides of the pattern in a bit to make it have a straighter skirt. And I put in a regular hem instead of bias tape on the bottom (because I ran out!). And I like it better.
After seeing Audrey in hers again this morning, I think I'll redo hers to make it a bit straighter too. I suppose a more fluid fabric would hang less stiffly and be swishy-er, but I really love 100 percent cotton prints. So I'll stick with the modification.
This was such a simple pattern--two pieces, two seams, and bias tape. If you're looking for a summer play dress or tank top, I'd recommend it!
(You can click on the photo and then enlarge to see how the bias tape edge and straps look.)